Mortgage loan rates will continue to stay low, and home and condo prices will continue to rise, as long as financial institutions can sell their mortgage-backed securities to foreign investors. It’s that simple.
By Ruth Simon, James R Hagerty & James T Areddy, Wall Street Journal
Strong demand for mortgage-backed securities from investors world-wide is allowing American lenders to make more loans — and riskier ones — in a way that is helping prolong the boom in U.S. house prices.
The cash pouring in — not only from U.S. investors but increasingly from Europe and Asia — keeps stoking the housing market even as the Federal Reserve Board continues to raise interest rates, normally something that damps home prices. The market has shown a few signs of slowing recently, and talk of a bubble has grown louder, but prices continue to rise or remain at lofty levels as investors continue to gobble up mortgage-backed securities and banks keep lending.
“As the Fed has tightened, lenders have eased” terms for borrowers, says Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com, a forecasting firm in West Chester, Pa.
Investment banks and other firms have been buying mortgage loans from lenders and packaging them into securities for sale to investors since the 1980s. But investor demand has surged in recent years, largely because in an era of low returns, mortgage-backed securities offer yield-starved investors much higher returns than government bonds.
Complete article: Housing-Bubble Talk Doesn’t Scare Foreigners
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018