Designers such as Philippe Starck have recently gotten into the condo development business. Developers sign up these “name” designers to add cachet to their projects. The developers do varying amounts of work – Starck was responsible for the “overall feel” of Charlestown’s Parris Landing, as well as designing the common areas (complete with obligatory baby’s pacifer and duck sculptures). He is also involved with the YooD4 project, in the South End.
This story is focused more on the designers’ work inside units. The real question is, does having a big designer on your project increase sales & sales prices, and will it matter at resale time?
In their scramble to attract high-end buyers, condominium and co-op developers are adding another item to their list of amenities: design and furnishings packages from famous names like Barbara Barry and Jade Jagger.
Unlike furnished apartments offered in the past, which were stocked with off-the-store-floor sofas and tables, the new packages include one-of-a-kind designs and six-digit price tags. Some of the packages offer just the basic design elements, like bathroom tiles and lighting fixtures. Others include furnishings, too, down to sofas, silverware and bedsheets.
Buyers are typically offered a number of models to choose from, with names like “nature,” or “modern,” and pay between $40,000 and $450,000 for the service. – Troy McMullen, The Wall Street Journal.
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018