Last week, I received an official-looking letter in the US mail.
Someone was kindly offering to provide me with a copy of my condominium’s unit deed.
For the very low price of $59.95.
Um, yeah. Except I could get a copy of it (albeit, non-certified) free, online, at the Suffolk Deeds website.
Turns out, I’m not the only one who gets this type of junk mail:
New home buyers have been receiving an official-looking letter in the mail telling them that it is important to have a certified copy of their property deed. Consumer Reports warns that the companies selling these services use high-pressure sales tactics and charge as much as $100.
Chances are the buyers will get a copy of their deed at closing, but if they don’t, all they have to do is contact their county clerk or registrar’s office. The charge for a copy is less than $10. In some places, they can look at and print a non-certified copy of their deed from the Internet for free.
I looked into what it cost to get a certified copy of the deed, and it ain’t cheap – $125!
Why you’d even need one is the real question.
Source: No Need to Pay Big Bucks for Copy of Deed – By Marshall Loeb, MarketWatch.com, by way of Realtor.org
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018