The land that is now was originally a swampy uninhabited part of the mainland and marked where the Charles River fed into the wide and marshy Back Bay. It was part of the colonial settlement of Boston until 1705 when the hamlet of Muddy River incorporated as Brookline.
Kenmore Square remained relatively undeveloped as late as 1880. By 1890 the Back Bay landfill project reached Kenmore Square and fully connected it with parts of the city. Prior to 1932, Kenmore Square was known as Governor's Square and before that it was known as Sewall's Point and this immediate area marked the only actual land in the area and the Back Bay as we know it today was just a tidal salt marsh.
Today, Kenmore Square has a bustling student population. The New England School of Photography is located in the heart of Kenmore Square with student housing sprinkled throughout the area. There is a heavy concentration of music stores, dance clubs and inexpensive cafes and restaurants located here.
Many clothing stores and novelty shops bring both students and tourists to the area as does the area's largest bookstore, Barnes and Noble at Boston University and is centrally located in the square and serves students from many surrounding universities and colleges along with tourists and residents.
A famous attraction in Kenmore Square is Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Socks and when the Socks are in town you can be sure the baseball fans will pack the Kenmore Square restaurants and bars.
Kenmore Square is known as the Gateway to Fenway Park and Boston University and also known as the place where revelers begin and end their many nights of partying. It is where workers, pupils, students and tourists catch or change buses and street cars to get from point A to point B and is probably one of the most overlooked slices of the City of Boston.
[srp_profile lat="42.348717" lng="-71.099027" address=" 566 Commonwealth Ave, Unit 704 Boston, MA " city="Boston" state="AL" zip_code="02215"]
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
- 0 beds, 1 bathListed with eXp RealtyMLS 72294209
- 2 beds, 2 baths1,142 sqftListed with CompassMLS 72294166
- 1 bed, 1 bath650 sqftListed with Bridgestone Properties, LLCMLS 72293705
- 3 beds, 1 bath900 sqftListed with Bridgestone Properties, LLCMLS 72293627
- 2 beds, 2 baths982 sqftListed with Premier Property Solutions, LLCMLS 72293143
- 1 bed, 1 bath550 sqftListed with Phoenix Realty GroupMLS 72292444
- 1 bed, 1 bath550 sqftListed with Charlesgate Realty Group, llcMLS 72289527
- 1 bed, 1 bath575 sqftListed with Keller Williams Realty Boston-Metro | Back BayMLS 72288541
- 0 beds, 1 bath500 sqftListed with Boston Z RealtyMLS 72287196
- 1 bed, 1 bath650 sqftListed with EB Realty Co.MLS 72281125
- 0 beds, 0 bath99,999 sqftListed with Boston's Preferred Prop.MLS 72269145
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.
This IDX Software is (c) Diverse Solutions 2018.