The thinking was, retirees will pack up, move out of Massachusetts, and head for the warmer climates of Florida and Arizona, leaving us holding the bag – a lower population meant less buyers for all our high-priced single-family homes and condominiums.
The reality is worse.
Cities in the northern part of the U.S that watched many of their older citizens move to warmer climates are now searching for ways to cope as these same people return – older and frailer.
Age-related health problems often prompt these retirees to move back, where they can be near family.
But many communities aren’t prepared for this trend. “”Over half of the communities in the country had not begun to plan for the aging of their existing population, much less contemplate a boomerang population coming back in their community, “ says Sandy Markwood, CEO of the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging.
This might make it more dramatic than it is (I haven’t seen the USA Today chart, haha). Those relocating back to Massachusetts and other states are probably wealthy enough, or have support networks (family, etc.) so that they won’t be a burden on the state.
Source: Snowbirds Flock Back to Northern States – By Haya El Nasser, USA Today
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018