I had a conversation today with an agent regarding Zip Realty. He asked if I knew how much the average Zip Realty agent makes on a real estate commission. I told him I wasn’t sure. The agent told me in most cases it’s between 21% – 25% of Zip Realty’s portion of the commission
For example on $400,000 sale based on 5% co-broke the commission is $20,000 of which Zip Realty would receive $10,000.00.
Off the top of the $10,000.00
20% goes to the buyer
10% goes to a “technology fee”
5% goes to “office expense fee”
3% a “misc fee”
* Other fees may also apply
Once all the deductions are taken out. Zip Realty receives 60% of the remaining balance and the agent receives 40%.
So on the above example the Zip Realty agent would walk away with $2,480.00. I understand why buyer’s use Zip Realty to obtain the 20% back on the commission, but why would an agent want to work on such small margins.
I must give Zip Realty a lot of credit. I wonder what would happen to me, if I started to charge my agents a 10% blog-posting fee?
Looking to buy a Boston Condo?
Over the course of 20 years in the Boston downtown real estate market, John represented and sold numerous, condominiums, investment and development properties in Greater Boston and in the surrounding suburbs
In addition to representing Boston condo buyers and sellers, John is currently one of the most recognized Boston condo blog writers regarding Boston condominiums and residential real estate markets. John's insights and observations about the Boston condo market have been seen in a wide variety of the most established local & national media outlets including; Banker and Tradesman, Boston Magazine The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and NewsWeek and Fortune magazine, among others.
For over 24 years, John Ford, of Ford Realty Inc., has been actively involved in the real estate industry. He started his career in commercial real estate with a national firm Spaulding & Slye and quickly realized that he had a passion for residential properties. In 1999, John entered the residential real estate market, and in 2000 John Started his own firm Ford Realty Inc. As a broker, his clients have come to love his fun, vivacious, and friendly attitude. He prides himself on bringing honesty and integrity to the entire home buying and selling process. In addition to helping buyers and sellers, he also works with rental clients. Whether you’re looking to purchase a new Boston condo or rent an apartment, you’ll quickly learn why John has a 97% closing rate.
Charles River Park
Surrounding Communities of Boston
John Ford and his staff can be reached at 617-595-3712 or 617-720-5454. Please feel free to stop by John's Boston Beacon Hill office located at 137 Charles Street.
Ford Realty Inc
137 Charles Street
Boston, Ma 02114
- Boston condosHow to avoid Boston downtown real estate scams
- Boston condosBoston Downtown real estate: Cautious tale for Sellers using Redfin Now and other direct condo buying companies
- Boston condosBoston downtown real estate market: Expert predictions for second half of the year
- Boston condosHow to make your Boston Seaport condo your sanctuary – 5 Tips