From an article in this weekend’s New York Times:
Hashing, as it is known, is based on Hare and Hounds, an English game in which a “hare” given a head start, marks a course with bits of paper (the “œscent”) for the pursuing hounds, whose collective mission is to catch the hare before it reaches a designated finish line.
Also called Paper Chase, the game evolved into hashing during the late 1930s, when a group of British expatriates added alcohol to the equation during a stay in Malaysia. The game moved around the globe; it is believed to have arrived in New York in 1978.
More specifically, according to the Boston Moon Hash House Harriers:
Founded in Kuala Lumpur, Maylasia in 1938, the Hash House Harriers are an international fellowship which conducts ‘hare & hound’ type fun runs.
The 2 to 5 mile non-competitive run/walks involve finding a marked trail to the end. Short cutting, cheating, and other nefarious tricks are encouraged.
A Hash Trail is an exhilaratingly fun combination of running, orienteering, and partying, where bands of “Harriers” and “Hairiettes” chase hares or follow marks of flour through town, the woods, sewers, even the airport, all in search of exercise, camaraderie, and the ever elusive “Beer Stop.”
At the end, we gather for ritual ceremony, food and libation.
So, what do you know about this?
Check out: Boston Hash House Harriers (Marathon Hash coming up!)
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $500k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $500k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $500k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $500k – $1M
- Leather District condos $500k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 450k – $1M
- South Boston condos $500k – $1M
- South End condos $500k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $500k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.