For Beacon Hill condo sellers, the 30-45 days time frame from accepting an offer on their Boston condominium until closing at escrow is crucial. Here’s how to make that final closing as smooth as possible.
Seller Closing Checklist:
- Get any negotiated repair work done long before the closing date. If your Beacon Hill real estate agent hasn’t already warned you, it can be tough finding contractors like plumbers and electricians, or even just a handy-person to work on homes in Beacon Hill. We’re in a labor shortage and wait times can often be weeks long. If your contract with the buyers says that you’ll complete certain repairs before closing, schedule them as soon as possible.
- Reconsider what you leave behind. Generally, all permanently installed fixtures of the Beacon Hill home stay with the home, and you can negotiate with the buyers if they want things like the washer and dryer. A lot of sellers, however, assume that buyers want things they likely should get rid of: patio furniture, old pots, old doors or windows from a long-ago remodel. The buyer seeing these items during the final walk-through probably won’t derail the home sale, but as a courtesy to the home’s new owners, dispose of them unless they have specifically asked for them to be conveyed. If in doubt, it doesn’t hurt to ask, talk with the buyers first.
- Wait until after the closing to transfer utilities and cancel insurance. Even if you’re already moved out of the home, don’t cancel the utilities. Once the title is transferred to the new owner, the utilities can be switched over to their name without an interruption in service (this is how things are normally done unless you and your buyer have worked out a different arrangement). Homeowners insurance is ok to completely cancel, but only once the sale is formally recorded. It is unsafe and unwise to leave a home sitting uninsured.
- Retain the closing documents. You’ll be handed (emailed) a completed package of paperwork including the closing statement, the purchase contract, and more at the final closing. Save these documents. Real estate experts recommend keeping them at least ten years. You will need it if you ever plan to refinance, you might need it for your tax return, and more.
Ready to get your Beacon Hill home listed and get top value for it this year? Contact our team at 617-595-3712.
Beacon Hill condos for sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
View Beacon Hill condos for sale 2019. Updated in real time.
View Beacon Hill apartments for rent 2019. Updated in real time
Over the course of 20 years in the Boston downtown real estate market, John represented and sold numerous, condominiums, investment and development properties in Greater Boston and in the surrounding suburbs
In addition to representing Boston condo buyers and sellers, John is currently one of the most recognized Boston condo blog writers regarding Boston condominiums and residential real estate markets. John's insights and observations about the Boston condo market have been seen in a wide variety of the most established local & national media outlets including; Banker and Tradesman, Boston Magazine The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and NewsWeek and Fortune magazine, among others.
For over 24 years, John Ford, of Ford Realty Inc., has been actively involved in the real estate industry. He started his career in commercial real estate with a national firm Spaulding & Slye and quickly realized that he had a passion for residential properties. In 1999, John entered the residential real estate market, and in 2000 John Started his own firm Ford Realty Inc. As a broker, his clients have come to love his fun, vivacious, and friendly attitude. He prides himself on bringing honesty and integrity to the entire home buying and selling process. In addition to helping buyers and sellers, he also works with rental clients. Whether you’re looking to purchase a new Boston condo or rent an apartment, you’ll quickly learn why John has a 97% closing rate.
Charles River Park
Surrounding Communities of Boston
John Ford and his staff can be reached at 617-595-3712 or 617-720-5454. Please feel free to stop by John's Boston Beacon Hill office located at 137 Charles Street.
Ford Realty Inc
137 Charles Street
Boston, Ma 02114
- Boston condosHow to avoid Boston downtown real estate scams
- Boston condosBoston Downtown real estate: Cautious tale for Sellers using Redfin Now and other direct condo buying companies
- Boston condosBoston downtown real estate market: Expert predictions for second half of the year
- Boston condosHow to make your Boston Seaport condo your sanctuary – 5 Tips