Sometimes, things make sense. Sometimes, they don’t.
I’m not a fan of historic preservation. Not at all.
Here’s a worst-case scenario, for you.
Old man lives in a house, with his elderly mother. Decides to sell his property. Apparently, there were no zoning issues, or anything of the sort, at least they weren’t mentioned.
No, what kept him from selling?
The city stepped in, declared his home an historic landmark, and forbid him from selling it, if it meant the home would be demolished.
Yes, that’s exactly what should happen!!!
On a busy corner of Mattapan, a block from one of the city’s more violent streets, a single farmhouse has survived from the days when cornfields sprawled across empty acres and cows grew plump off the land.
Now, the owners want to sell to a developer who has offered $1 million and proposes to demolish the buildings to make way for 22 townhouses on the half-acre site. A firestorm has erupted.
The Boston Landmarks Commission, agreeing with preservationists and neighborhood groups, has recommended preserving the buildings. But the owners, an 88-year-old woman in failing health and her son, argue that the city has ignored the buildings for decades and now …
… ”We’ve got to rot in Mattapan in this old house that’s falling down?” said Norman Epstein, 64, who lives with his mother, Ida. ”What wealthy person is going to buy this place, spend a huge amount of money to restore it, and move to Mattapan?”
Complete article: History faces the future: City may block the sale of antique Mattapan farm – by Kathleen Burge, The Boston Globe
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.