According to today’s USA TODAY:
Plans to blanket cities across the nation with low-cost or free wireless Internet access are being delayed or abandoned because they are proving to be too costly and complicated.
Houston, San Francisco, Chicago and other cities are putting proposed Wi-Fi networks on hold …
… “All these big city projects were doomed to failure because they were too complicated,” says Glenn Fleishman of Wi-Fi Networking News.
Apparently, Boston is going forward, logic be damned, unfortunately.
No one would love free wireless Internet more than I, obviously. I currently spend $39.99 per month to get wireless access at Starbucks, and I pay $35 per month to get Internet access at home. If I could get it for $20 or so, that’d be great, right?
But, it’s more than a matter of money, to me.
There is no reason for cities to offer this service. Private industry does a pretty good job of it.
Those who feel we need to have free or low-cost Internet service for “lower-income” people, haven’t done a lot of research on the concept. Many of these “lower-income” people can well afford to pay for Internet access (I’m betting many of them already pay for cable TV, right?), and many others don’t even want it, or need it.
More importantly, I fear that cities such as Boston will spend a lot of time and money on this technology, only for it become outdated within a decade or two.
Let’s stay out of it.
Cities turning off plans for Wi-Fi – By Judy Keen, USA TODAY
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Over the course of 20 years in the Boston downtown real estate market, John represented and sold numerous, condominiums, investment and development properties in Greater Boston and in the surrounding suburbs
In addition to representing Boston condo buyers and sellers, John is currently one of the most recognized Boston condo blog writers regarding Boston condominiums and residential real estate markets. John's insights and observations about the Boston condo market have been seen in a wide variety of the most established local & national media outlets including; Banker and Tradesman, Boston Magazine The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and NewsWeek and Fortune magazine, among others.
For over 24 years, John Ford, of Ford Realty Inc., has been actively involved in the real estate industry. He started his career in commercial real estate with a national firm Spaulding & Slye and quickly realized that he had a passion for residential properties. In 1999, John entered the residential real estate market, and in 2000 John Started his own firm Ford Realty Inc. As a broker, his clients have come to love his fun, vivacious, and friendly attitude. He prides himself on bringing honesty and integrity to the entire home buying and selling process. In addition to helping buyers and sellers, he also works with rental clients. Whether you’re looking to purchase a new Boston condo or rent an apartment, you’ll quickly learn why John has a 97% closing rate.
Charles River Park
Surrounding Communities of Boston
John Ford and his staff can be reached at 617-595-3712 or 617-720-5454. Please feel free to stop by John's Boston Beacon Hill office located at 137 Charles Street.
Ford Realty Inc
137 Charles Street
Boston, Ma 02114
- Boston condosHow to avoid Boston downtown real estate scams
- Boston condosBoston Downtown real estate: Cautious tale for Sellers using Redfin Now and other direct condo buying companies
- Boston condosBoston downtown real estate market: Expert predictions for second half of the year
- Boston condosHow to make your Boston Seaport condo your sanctuary – 5 Tips