They want to improve Downtown Crossing. The city has seen some high-profile retail defections over the past months (notably Barnes & Noble, and Filene’s is closed), but the area has never lived up to anyone’s expectations, I don’t think.
The main street is blocked off to traffic; a debatable idea, I think, although the city has hired planners who have suggesting removing cars from even more streets:
The pedestrian zone, which would be strictly enforced, would allow for outdoor cafes and retail that spills into the street. The enlarged zone would include Washington Street from Temple Street to Milk Street; Winter Street; Bromfield Street; and portions of Summer and Franklin streets.
Curbs would be removed, and roadways would be recovered with decorative pavers. After early-morning delivery hours, electric bollards would rise from below ground to prevent cars from entering the area, traversed by 100,000-plus people each day.
Places where people can “stop and look,â€? such as the paved areas outside Borders bookstore and next to the Filene’s building, also would be enhanced. “We’re trying to slow people down,â€? said Randi Lathrop, the BRA’s deputy director of community planning. “A lot of people walk through the Crossing, but they don’t shop in the Crossing.â€?
You gotta love the photo … not a street-thug in view, and … wait, is that a guy PLAYING A VIOLIN???
More: Crossing planners aim for ‘quality’: Combine shopping and leisure – By Donna Goodison, The Boston Herald
Also: Pedestrian-centric plan for downtown: Consultants add cafes, limit cars – By Jenn Abelson, The Boston Globe
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018