Do you live in a “hot” neighborhood? Are you sure?
What if you suddenly found out you lived in a completely different neighborhood? Would you be annoyed? Scared? Angry?
People say they live in the “South End” but, if they live on Mass Ave, or to the west of it, they are really in “Roxbury”, at least according to historical boundaries. The ZIP code for parts of the South End, closest to Back Bay, is 02116, and your mail will read “Boston”. The ZIP code for south of Tremont Street is 02118, and your mail will read “Roxbury”.
This can totally freak out people.
Freak them out so much that they sue.
This happened in New Jersey:
A three-judge state appeals court recently declared that a New Jersey couple may sue a real estate agency that allegedly incorrectly assured them their newly built, $740,000 house was in a particular community. Nobody disputes that the home is in Montville Township, New Jersey; the problem is, it’s not in the section called Montville, but in a neighboring community.
Of course, the whole thing is kind of silly, isn’t it? Your home is where it is, no name can change that. Plus, in Boston, at least, neighborhoods have no defined boundaries – it’s not like Roxbury has its own mayor or anything, right?
Source: New Jersey couple can sue over home’s location – Inman News
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018