Several theaters in the Downtown Crossing neighborhood have been saved over the past several years. The Opera House, of course, has been totally renovated; unfortunately, since then, the shows that have filled it have been of uneven quality. Down the street, the Paramount is about to undergo renovation, courtesy of Emerson College, which is about to begin construction next-door on a dorm/performance space.
Last on the block in need of renewal is the Modern Theater.
It’s the least appealing theater, from the outside, least worthy of preservation. And, based on the photos I’ve seen of the interior, it’s pretty much unrealistic to expect anyone to buy it and renovate it. It would cost way to much.
The city is accepting proposals for the building / land.
The Boston Redevelopment Authority is preparing to go to market with the Modern Theatre in hopes of finding a developer for the long-shuttered downtown theater, which opened in 1914.
While the terms are still being hammered out, city officials are seeking a partner that would also preserve the Washington Street venue’s historic facade.
That could mean building anything from student dorm rooms to offices on the building’s upper floors. Part of the building would be reserved for some sort of “cultural use” which may or may not include a theater, said Jessica Shumaker, a spokeswoman for the BRA.
Time to put show on road – By Scott Van Voorhis, The Boston Herald
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $650k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $650k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $650k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $650k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $650k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $650k – $1M
- Leather District condos $650k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 650k – $1M
- South Boston condos $650k – $1M
- South End condos $650k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $650k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.