Millennium Partners recently announced plans to build a 14-story, 155-foot tall residential tower behind their Ritz Carlton Towers development, in the Combat Zone Midtown neighborhood of Boston. In addition, there will be 19,000 square feet of retail space and parking for up to 250 cars.
The plot of land is called Hayward Place, and is currently an above-ground parking lot. Construction is expected to be completed sometime in 2008.
The developer plans to build as many as 255 “loft-style” condos (no bedrooms?), and their target market is the work-from-home professional.
Millennium Partners was given the right to build an office tower on that lot, in 2002, even though other developers had proposed turning it into badly needed housing. Now, four years later, Millennium says it won’t build an office tower, but condos, instead.
The gossip is that Millennium was given rights to build on the plot so that no other developer would build on it and have condos for sale in direct competition to Millennium.
Now that the Ritz Carlton Towers have almost sold out (many are on the resale market, in fact), Millennium won’t be competing with itself, and can build the residential tower.
I explained that poorly, but hopefully you get the idea.
More details: Lofty idea homes in on new worker – By Brett Arends, The Boston Herald
Office tower bait and switch – By Scott Van Voorhis, The Boston Herald
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018