Everyone always says, “When old people retire, they move south.”
According to the United States Census Bureau, 9 out of 10 Americans over 60, or 41.5 million people, stayed in the same home or in the same county between 1995 and 2000. During that period, only 4.4 million Americans over 60 moved away.
Those figures don’t seem likely to change anytime soon. Last year, AARP surveyed Americans over 50 and found that 89 percent wanted to stay in their current home as long as possible. “Americans are going to age in place,” says Elinor Ginzler, AARP’s director for livable communities.
I can think of many reasons an older couple would want to move out of Massachusetts – lower taxes, warmer climates, quality of life.
However, if there’s one thing I am constantly reminded of in daily life, it’s that people like staying where they are. They end up staying in jobs they don’t like, they end up living in places they don’t like.
They’re resistant to change, I guess.
Now, percentage-wise, there will still be a gradual migration, and Florida and North Carolina and Arizona will continue to grow, at the expense of northern states.
However, can you really stop that from happening?
I don’t think so.
The New Gray Areas – By Anna Bernasek, The New York Times
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.