I know little about affordable housing.
Here’s an idea that seems to have merit.
It’s a co-operative complex in The Bronx (in New York City) called Co-op City, which has 15,372 units across 35 high-rises and 7 town-house clusters.
(The prices are ridiculously low, which has led to problems with on-going maintenance, etc., which you can learn about, by clicking through on links in the comments section.)
Homey, if You Don’t Mind a Building Boom (page two) – By David Sharfenberg, The New York Times
Prices range from $10,500, for a three-room one-bedroom, to $22,750, for a six-and-a-half-room three-bedroom. Whatever the resident’s initial investment, the co-op repays that amount when the resident leaves.
Carrying charges “which cover gas, electricity, heat, air-conditioning, security and maintenance” range from $522 to $1,131 a month, depending on the size of the apartment, said Steven Gold, director of residential sales and marketing for the RiverBay Corporation.
Applicants must undergo credit and criminal background checks and a home visit, and meet income restrictions. To get a five-room, two-bedroom apartment, for instance, a family of four must earn at least $38,280, at most $95,088.
The waiting list for two-bedroom apartments is six to nine months, so apparently people like the idea.
What do you think?
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018