To a lot of people, owning land in an undeveloped area (say, in Maine and Vermont) is all about the views and the expansive landscape, and less about the size of your dwelling.
This kind of thinking has caught on over the past several years.
A wave of interest in such small dwellings – some to serve … as temporary housing, others to become space-saving dwellings of a more permanent nature- has prompted designers and manufacturers to offer building plans, kits and factory-built houses to the growing number of small-thinking second-home shoppers. Seldom measuring much more than 500 square feet, the buildings offer sharp contrasts to the rambling houses that are commonplace as second homes.
The homes themselves can be cheap – $45,000 to $100,000. Of course, you have to add the cost of the land and excavation to the total, which can make it more expensive. Plus, if you want electricity, heat, and indoor plumbing, that will cost extra to hook up, if available at all.
The companies mentioned in the New York Times article include:
* weeHouses (designed by Alchemy Architects)
* Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
* Cusato Cottages (to be distributed through Lowe’s, this spring)
* Modern Cabana
More: Think Small – By Bethany Little, The New York Times
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018