Great news out of the Combat Zone Downtown Crossing Ladder District.
According to the Globe:
The Modern Theatre (sic) on Washington Street, where movies with sound were first shown in Boston, is going to become student housing for Suffolk University.
The Boston Redevelopment Authority yesterday approved Suffolk’s plan for a $35 million renovation that will preserve the Modern’s distinctive High Victorian and Gothic facade with its arching entrance, while erecting a modern 12-story tower with 180 to 200 beds above.
This is a great re-use of space!
Suffolk University, of course, recently purchased the Ten West condominium development, under construction on West Street (natch), and unveiled plans to turn it into dormitory space for its students.
Added to other recent purchases, Suffolk will soon house 16% of its students on campus.
I think this is wonderful news. I think having Suffolk University (and Emerson College down the street, and the Urban College, around the corner) brings a vitality and life to an otherwise moribund area.
I hope they build more housing down there.
Just as important, I can’t believe someone’s going to finally renovate the Modern Theater! I never thought it would happen – I wanted it torn down. Actually, I still want it torn down. But, whatever. As long as something useful goes in there, I’m happy.
Source: Modern Theatre, long vacant, to house students – By Thomas C Palmer, Jr, The Boston Globe
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos $500k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $500k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $500k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $500k – $1M
- Leather District condos $500k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 4500k – $1M
- South Boston condos $500k – $1M
- South End condos $500k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $500k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Q 2018