Steve Bailey writes in today’s Globe that man-of-nine-lives Donald Chiofaro may be looking to build a largely-residential highrise on Boston’s waterfront, facing the Rose Kennedy Greenway (as-yet, unbuilt, I might remind you).
(S)ources said yesterday that Chiofaro is negotiating an option to buy the parking garage across from the New England Aquarium and wants to build a tower on the site that would largely be residential and rival in scale the nearby 400-foot-high Harbor Towers.
According to Bailey, Chiofaro is scheduled to present his initial ideas for the site today to the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
Other developers have also floated residential tower plans, including the owners of TD BankNorth Garden and the Hines Co., who want to build a shiny tower of power attached to South Station (maybe those two developers could build a monorail between the two projects?).
UPDATE: According to today’s Globe, Chiofaro met with the BRA, yesterday, and unveiled preliminary plans for his tower:
(T)he huge mixed-use project would total about 1.2 million square feet — the equivalent of the Prudential Tower itself. It would include a 175-room hotel, 125 condos, 800,000 square feet of office space, and significant retail space. The early concept is for two buildings, including a 475-foot tower — about 75 feet higher than the neighboring Harbor Towers. Ted Oatis, Chiofaro’s partner, said the project would open a pedestrian corridor, creating a view to the harbor.
Projected cost: $600 million to $800 million.
More information: Chiofaro plans high-rise housing on Greenway – By Steve Bailey, The Boston Globe
Chiofaro thinks big as Greenway project would rival the Pru – By Steve Bailey and Chris Reidy, The Boston Globe
Contact me to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018