I just read an article about renting an apartment, and it raises an interesting point:
QUESTION: I am a landlord. Some people tell me I should collect the first and last month’s rent from a new tenant, plus a security deposit. But others tell me to just collect a security deposit and first month’s rent, instead. Which is best?
ANSWER: If you collect first and last month’s ahead of time, and your tenant stays several years, when the tenant moves out you must then accept as full payment the already-paid low last month’s rent.
Surely, this can’t be so. Right? If I move in to an apartment, and the rent is $900, and the landlord collects first month’s rent of $900 and last month’s rent of $900, but then every year he raises the rent by $100, when I move out five years’ later, is my last month’s rent only $900, or do I have to come up with the extra $500?
I assume I have to pay what’s due for the last month – $1,400, right?
This isn’t that common, of course. Mostly because any smart landlord is going to write up a new lease, every year, covering the new year and new rent.
Still, I wonder what a court would say.
How renting home each year impacts $250K tax break: Principal-residence rule worries some (2nd question) – By Robert J. Bruss, Inman News, by way of The Boston Globe
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Quarter 2018