Though it’s clear the landmark Locke-Ober restaurant in Downtown Crossing had seen its better days, it’s sudden closing still comes as a sort of shock. Brian McGrory has details about what happened:
David Ray, the owner of the venerable Locke-Ober, called this morning to confirm what a city already knew. He has sold the building on Winter Place in Downtown Crossing, shuttered his restaurant, and is moving on.
“All done,” Ray said, pausing for a moment. “I think we gave it a good effort.
“Here’s what I was faced with,” Ray continued. “I had a choice. Make Locke-Ober more casual, lower our standards to conform with the way society is today, or I could close it. I could close it with its history and its dignity intact. Because, frankly, it looked as good as it’s ever looked. The service was good, and the food was good.”
“It’s unfortunate,” Ray continued. “It’s bittersweet for me. I’ve owned it since 1978.”
BTW: Adam’s Hospitality had the scoop over the weekend. Via the other Adam.
An Update Alert: Wait! It seems the restaurant might be sold — and reopened in a year under new ownership, complete with old dark mahogany bar and paneling. That’s great news for all you traditionalists, which, in Boston, means just about everyone.
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $500k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $500k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $500k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $500k – $1M
- Leather District condos $500k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 450k – $1M
- South Boston condos $500k – $1M
- South End condos $500k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $500k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.