They’re actually giving tours now of the old post-WWII homes built for and purchased by returning GIs in the late ’40s and 1950s. And why not? They were simple, practical and, despite the stereotype, usually quite solid. A sampling from a great essay:
The current millennial generation seeks a practical domestic situation, much like returning GIs. Most would prefer to reduce car-trips, but are realistic about this goal, given the range of their travel. Most in this generation see right through car-free living claims; more than one of my students, when discussing walkability, stated that “I’m not gonna lug my groceries even a block in this heat.” The battle with the car is chiefly about making the car more efficient, and less ubiquitous through the use of telecommuting and on-line shopping. It is not about removing it from the scene entirely.
So as McMansions have swollen to represent a kind of architectural obesity, they have made many midcentury neighborhoods unfashionable, for typically these older homes have one parking space, often in a carport, not a true garage. They also are front-loaded, a much more efficient planning concept than alleys, but then the car becomes part of the front façade. Millennials have a hard time understanding what’s wrong with that. Again, as one 28-year-old student put it to me, “It’s just a house, after all…what’s the big deal?”
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENT
- Boston Back Bay condos for sale and rent
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for saleand rent
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale and rent
- Charlestown Navy Yard sale and rent
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale and rent
- Fenway Boston condos for sale and rent
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale and rent
- Leather District Boston condos for sale and rent
- Midtown Downtown condos for sale and rent
- Seaport District condos for sale and rent
- South Boston condos for sale and rent
- South End Boston condos for sale and rent
- Waterfront condos for sale and rent
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.