News from the wire:
From Boston Business Journal
The Boston metro area is number 48 on a list of 100 metropolitan areas ranked by foreclosure rates in the third quarter of 2007.
The survey was issued Wednesday by RealtyTrac Inc., an online marketplace for foreclosure properties.
From the Globe:
Worcester and Boston/Quincy ranked 32nd and 48th respectively on a national survey that compiled home foreclosure rates among the country’s 100 largest metropolitan areas during the third quarter.
So, let’s be good reporters and take five extra seconds to put this thing in perspective so that it is actually useful to you, a reader.
There are 363 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in the United States, according to Wikipedia.
The top three are:
1 New Yorkâ€“Northern New Jerseyâ€“Long Island NYâ€“NJâ€“PA 18,818,536 people
2 Los Angelesâ€“Long Beachâ€“Santa Ana CA 12,950,129 people
3 Chicagoâ€“Napervilleâ€“Joliet ILâ€“INâ€“WI 9,505,748 people
Boston is the 11th largest MSA, with around 4.4 million people.
But, “Boston” is a misnomer, since the area is actually “Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH”, whatever that means.
Worcester is the 64th largest MSA, with around 785,000 people.
So, two things.
First, reporting the foreclosure numbers for such large areas is somewhat limited in usefulness.
Second, if Boston is the 11th largest MSA but is only 48th out of the top 100 MSAs, then we’re doing pretty well, right?
Worcester? Not so much.
Source: Report: Foreclosure filings up in Boston – Boston Business Journal
Also: Foreclosure rates on the rise – The Boston Globe
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown/downtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boston condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.