It may be true that a million dollars doesn’t buy as much today as it used to, but it’s still a heck of a lot of money.
The ranks of millionaire households in the United States rose to 6.2 million in 2003 and 8.2 million in 2004, and to 8.9 million in 2005, according to British market research firm TNS Financial Services.
In most large counties, about one household in 12, or about 8.5 percent, was worth $1 million or more, Ms. Luhr said. An exception was Nassau County on Long Island, where millionaire families were more than twice as common, at 17.5 percent of all households.
The households had an average net worth, excluding principal residence, of nearly $2.2 million, of which more than $1.4 million was in liquid, or investable, assets. The survey counted some tax-deferred retirement savings but did not include individual retirement accounts in the liquid assets.
Again, this excluded the value of their principal residence, and excluded most money held aside for retirement.
Over 25 percent of households held no stocks, bonds, or mutual funds, and only one quarter of respondents had owned their own businesses.
And, hello Concord-Carlisle! Middlesex County, in Massachusetts, had the tenth-highest concentration of millionaires in the country, with over 67,000 households having a net worth of at least $1 million.
Details: New Rise in Number of Millionaire Families – By David Cay Johnston, The New York Times
Contact me to find to set up an appointment to start your Boston condo buying process.
SEARCH BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay Boston condos for sale
- Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Boston condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard Boston condos for sale
- Downtown Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Boston condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights Boston condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
- Leather District Boston condos for sale
- Midtown Boston condos for sale
- Seaport District Boson condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End Boston condos for sale
- Waterfront Boston condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018