From today’s Times:
The once-sizzling housing market may be rapidly cooling, but not all residential property owners are worried – especially if they happen to own apartment buildings.
Landlords are enjoying booming times these days as more people are choosing to rent. Apartment vacancy rates are at five-year lows, averaging 5.6 percent nationwide.
Meanwhile, rents are up nearly 4 percent, on average, over last year, the biggest rise in six years.
As rents rise, so do the stocks of REITs in companies such as AvalonBay Communities and Archstone-Smith Trust.
Archstone-Smith built the recently-opened Archstone Boston Common, and Avalon Bay is big in the Boston (at Prudential Center), in Chestnut Hill, and in the suburbs.
These companies, and companies like them, are good investments, because they are some of the few suppliers ready to meet the demand from people priced out of the condo market.
Unfortunately, the hot rental market means higher rents for residents, as demand continues to outstrip supply.
It’s a Good Time to Be a Landlord – By Vivian Marino, The New York Times
Boston condos for sale:
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos for sale
- Beacon Hill condos for sale
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale
- Leather District condos for sale
- Midtown condos for sale
- Seaport District condos for sale
- South Boston condos for sale
- South End condos for sale
- Waterfront condos for sale
- Boston Downtown condos for sale
- Downtown condos for sale
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: January 2018