The Boston Housing Authority has announced plans to upgrade several of its largest (and oldest) housing projects.
As part of the first phase of upgrades, 14 developments — including Bunker Hill, Bromley-Heath, Franklin Field in Dorchester and Lenox in the South End — would receive between $45 million and $50 million worth of upgrades to energy and water systems, such as low-flow toilets, weather-stripping, heating and electrical controls, and lighting.
Bunker Hill in Charlestown is to get new roofs, unit doors, and a security system. Mary Ellen McCormack is slated for brickwork repairs, new unit doors, and new exterior stoops and entryways and Old Colony is to get new unit doors and upgraded security.
The history of public housing in Boston is fascinating (and, at times, depressing). There is a fairly good book about it:
It covers a lot of ground quickly. A good primer. The book is a little skimpy in parts, however. I suggest finding a copy at your local library, actually.
Public housing in Boston is undergoing great change, these days. Many of the developments are being renovated and/or torn down and replaced with townhouse-style housing. A good portion of the current residents remain in the new buildings, while others are placed into apartments throughout the city, through the Section 8 rental assistance program.
Source: BHA to launch a broad upgrade of public housing – By Donovan Slack, The Boston Globe
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about this property or to set up an appointment to see it.
SEARCH FOR BOSTON CONDOS FOR SALE
- Back Bay condos $500k and up
- Beacon Hill condos for sale $500,000 – $900,000
- Charlestown condos for sale
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos for sale
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos for sale
- Fenway Boston condos for sale $450,000 – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos for sale $400,000 and up
- Leather District condos for sale $700,000 – $2.5M
- Midtown condos for sale $1m – $3M
- Seaport District condos for sale $1,000,000 – $2,000,000
- South Boston condos for sale $450,000 and up
- South End condos for sale $500,000 – $700,000
- Waterfront condos for sale $600,000 – $1,500,000
- Boston Downtown condos for sale $1,000,000 – $6,000,000
- Downtown condos for sale $1M – $5M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.