Great story about open house disasters. I haven’t heard many shocking stories about open houses in Boston, but I’ll see what I can find out.
By Teri Karush Rogers, New York Times
As some brokers see it, displaced anxiety or even rage is causing a higher proportion of buyers -battered by high prices, low inventory and jugular bidding wars – to act out, especially when desperation drives them to tour properties far above their price range. “They want to see an apartment that’s a million more than they can afford because they want to see something they actually like,” Mr. Orenstein said. “But they’re not buying the apartment, so there’s a different mindset.”
Stories of tasteless and even bizarre behavior abound. One stormy Sunday in mid-March, Barry Silverman, a senior vice president at Halstead Property, held an open house in a two-bedroom, two-bath Chelsea duplex. Despite the weather, the $715,000 apartment drew 65 people during its 90-minute debut, a crowd Mr. Silverman said was typical for a property offered at such a reasonable price. Among them were two women who started to enter the apartment with a pair of sodden German shepherds. “You just want to say, ‘What, are you an idiot?’ ” said Mr. Silverman, who instead asked the women to take turns baby-sitting the dogs in the hallway. Another shopper carrying her venti-sized Starbucks drink tossed her rain-soaked persimmon slicker over the back of an upholstered chair.
Complete article: The New York Times > Real Estate > How Not to Behave at an Open House
Funny Open Houses
- $750 : 000 Rosemont #3, Boston1 bed, 1 bathListed with Secured Realty Inc.
- $3,200 : 1 Port Norfolk St #1, Boston4 beds, 2 bathsListed with Century 21 Cahill Associates
- $3,400 : 1721 Commonwealth Ave #2, Boston4 beds, 2 bathsListed with Preview Properties
- $2,800 : 50 Mt Vernon St #3, Boston3 beds, 1 bathListed with Bridgestone Properties, LLC
- $2,000 : 95 Kilsyth #B, Boston2 beds, 1 bathListed with Unit Realty Group, LLC
- $2,200 : 15 Colliston Rd. #4, Boston2 beds, 1 bathListed with Encore Realty
- $2,400 : 124 selden st #1, Boston3 beds, 1 bathListed with Popular Properties Realty,Inc.
- $2,600 : 45 Savin Hill Avenue #3/F, Boston3 beds, 1 bathListed with V & E Realty
- $1,750 : 23 Duncklee Street #2, Boston2 beds, 1 bathListed with Encore Realty
- $3,395 : 11 Temple St #8, Boston2 beds, 1 bathListed with Boston Realty NET.com, Inc.
See all City of Boston Condos.
(all data current as of 9/20/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.