The Times had a story in Sunday’s paper about making extra payments on your loan.
Basically, if you make extra payments on your loan, you’ll reduce the amount of interest you’ll end up paying over the life of your loan.
A lot of interest, it turns out.
Which, in a way, is like earning interest on the money you save, instead.
“The savings can be staggering … “
For example, someone with a $250,000, 6.5 percent loan written for 30 years, a monthly prepayment of $200 will save almost 8 years of payments and $97,614 in interest. In other words, when you prepay your mortgage, it is like earning the mortgage interest rate on those additional payments.
“In the $250,000 example, that would be a risk-free, guaranteed investment return of 6.5 percent.”
Do you want to see for yourself?
Here’s a spreadsheet you can download that does just that:
This Excel spreadsheet was created by Jon Wittwer and the people over at Vertex42.com. I modified it, just a bit.
They have many excellent spreadsheets on their site, some that you can use online, without downloading. All are free, for personal use.
This spreadsheet can be used to see what your normal monthly loan payments will be. PLUS, you can add an extra amount to your monthly payment, to see what the results would be.
More: Is It a Good Idea to Prepay a Mortgage? – By Jay Romano, The New York Times
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $550k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $550k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $550k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $550k – $1M
- Leather District condos $550k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 450k – $1M
- South Boston condos $550k – $1M
- South End condos $550k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $550k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.