Conversations you might be hearing around the neighborhood
Well, summer is here – the time for cookouts and rooftop cocktail parties. And, no one loves a barbecue as much as I. Where else do you get a chance to mingle with old friends as well as new acquaintances, to talk with each other about the weather, crime, and local politics. About store closings …
But, meeting new people can be troublesome. If you’re like me, you often run out of topics, or get stuck talking to socially awkward people. Or worse, McCain supporters.
Therefore, as a public service, here are some conversation starters – or enders, depending on the situation – to help you out.
* When the Mayor speaks, it reminds me of Keats.
* It’s so funny – every time I come home from a weekend away, there’s an empty parking space waiting for me right in front of my apartment.
* I had the most entertaining sidewalk conversation with someone from Greenpeace, the other day; and with someone from the Children’s Defense Fund; and with someone from the DNC; and someone from MassPIRG; and someone from …
* Yes I buy $8 tomatoes – that’s because they’re eight times as delicious!
* I wish Mike Dukakis would run for office again.
* So, I just signed up for this thing called America Online.
* I can’t think of a better location for a budget motel than on Tremont Street.
* Aw, who am I kidding, I just go to the Boston Ballet for the boys in tights.
* I don’t know about you, but I’ve had just about enough of these sports parades.
* Does this look infectious?
* The Rose Kennedy Parkway looks so beautiful – they’ve really done a wonderful job.
* The sound of jet-liners constantly taking off and landing at Logan is so calming, it lulls me to sleep.
* To people who say they need a park to walk their dogs, I say, there is one – it’s called New Hampshire.
* I wish there were more places to eat in the South End.
* I can’t wait for the “Romney – 2012” campaign to begin.
* Inflation is nuts, these days! – just try to find a baby carriage for under a thousand dollars.
* Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think there’s ever been a better ball-player than Alex Rodriguez.
* Wait, they’re testing bio-hazards where???
* One thing’s for sure, real estate agents really earn their pay.
* They must be doing something right … South End streets have never been cleaner.
* I find the Boston Herald always has the hard-hitting type of reporting that we need in this town.
* Who’s up for the Motley Crue concert this weekend?
* The seats at Fenway are so uncomfortable – what we need is a new ballpark.
* If a mother feels comfortable nursing her baby in front of me, then she should feel comfortable with me staring at her.
* I met the greatest guy in the Fens last night.
* Yogurt has more culture than the South End.
* I miss Billy Bulger.
* Anyone else notice that gas prices have been going up?
* You know, what the South End really needs is another pet store.
* So, I’ve been chatting with this teenager online.
* The Silver Line is amazing – so fast and convenient, you really should try it.
* Let me tell you a funny story I heard in rehab.
* I hate brick.