One of historic Boston’s most significant homes is on the market.
It is the Captain Lemuel Clap House.
It appears that a house has occupied this site since about 1633, and possibly today’s house was its enlargement. Although there is no solid evidence for this possibility, the Clapp family genealogy records that such a first house was built by Roger Clapp, one of Dorchester’s original settlers, circa 1633 and in 1767 rebuilt and enlarged by his descendant Lemuel Clap. On the other hand, the Historical Society also has evidence that the earlier house was built by the Ward family at the beginning of the 18th century.
There seems little doubt, however, that today’s house was substantially constructed by Lemuel Clap in 1767. The house was purchased by Historical Society in 1945, and moved several hundred yards from Willow Court to its current location in 1957. Its rooms currently contain items from the Societyâ€™s historical collection.
Honestly, I’m not sure whether it is the Lemuel Clap House or the William Clapp House that is for sale. They are next door to each other. I’ll have to check it out, next time I’m in the neighborhood.
(This home is down the street from Boston’s oldest home, the James Black House, built circa 1650.)
MLS #: 70626972
Details: 4 beds, 4 baths, legally a four-family home, +/- 2,400 square feet, on a quarter-acre lot
Dennis Poulos of Justin Boston Properties has the listing.
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $550k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $550k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $550k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $550k – $1M
- Leather District condos $550k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 450k – $1M
- South Boston condos $550k – $1M
- South End condos $550k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $550k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.