The Herald profiles The Meads, a new luxury building at the edge of Back Bay.
Originally built as two single-family homes, the double structure was designed by architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, which designed the Boston Public Library.
The structure features wrought-iron princess balconies, arched windows topped with engraved medallions and an Ionic-columned granite porch entrance ringed with gargoyles.
Developer TerraMark Corp. retained this classic exterior, but gut-rehabbed the siteâ€™s interior with new but historically sensitive materials and detailing.
Prices begin under $2 million.
( *** Oh, here’s something rather interesting, a little bit of trivia to impress your friends, next party. McKim, Mead & White were the architects of the Boston Public Library. As you know if you have ever walked outside it, there are names of just about every important scientist, philosopher, writer, musician, etc., on the upper trim of the building.
So, it turns out, in the original design, McKim, Mead & White included their own names in the list, along with Sophocles, Newton, and the rest of the gang.
The architects were then fired. ***)
More: Magnificent Meads: New Back Bay condos, gracious, luxurious – By Paul Restuccia, The Boston Herald
Also: Boston Public Library – Wikipedia.org (nothing about the naming scandal, however)
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos under $550k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $550k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $550k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $550k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $550k – $1M
- Leather District condos $550k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 450k – $1M
- South Boston condos $550k – $1M
- South End condos $550k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $550k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.