For some people, using a cosigner may be the only way to qualify for a mortgage loan and purchase a condo for sale in downtown Boston. Before entering into these arrangements, however, all parties should have a clear understanding of what they entail. Boston condo buyers should know upfront whether cosigners expect to retain partial ownership and whether or not they’ll ever be able to manage all of their ownership costs on their own.
Why Use a Cosigner When Buying a Boston Condo?
People who are self-employed generally lack the proof of consistent and reliable income that lenders need to see. Cosigners allow these individuals to pursue conventional funding products despite their unconventional employment and financial profiles. Cosigners are often used by divorcees to qualify for mortgages that will enable them to take over the homes they once shared with their spouses. People can additionally use cosigners when taking leave from work to pursue higher education. Although a cosigner does not have the ability to improve you credit score or any other aspect of your financial profile, the addition of this person’s income could increase the size of the loan that you’re qualified to receive. In each of these instances, the cosigner provides greater assurance that lenders won’t suffer any loss should things fall through.
Different Types of Cosigners
Cosigners can be either occupant co-borrowers or non-occupant co-buyers. With occupant co-borrowers, lenders may perform checks to ensure that the cosigner has actually moved in post-closing. Non-occupant co-borrowers are currently the most common type of cosigners and they are not required to live on the property at all. The most important thing to discuss with either type of cosigner is how ownership will be shared.
Banks Require All Borrowers to Be Listed on the Title
Lenders require that each borrower be listed on the title. If you’re using a cosigner, this person could take title as a joint tenant, in which case, you and the co-borrower will share equal ownership rights to the home. The only way to define your individual ownership shares is by taking title as tenants in common. The ability to claim different ownership percentages has no impact on financial culpability. Irrespective of how ownership is assigned, both parties will be equally liable for the maintenance of the loan agreement. Late payments or mortgage default will impact both the buyer and the cosigner in the exact same way and thus, each person should be fully prepared to manage the loan before accepting it.
Still looking? Find the place of your dreams by checking out our inventory of condos for sale in downtown Boston. If you see something you like, give us a call at 617-720-5454 and we can set up a showing as soon as possible.
Boston Condos for Sale
Back Bay Boston condos for sale
Beacon Hill Boston condos for sale
Charlestown Boston condos for sale
Navy Yard Charlestown Boston condos
Dorchester Boston condos for sale
Fenway Boston condos for sale
Jamaica Plain Boston condos for sale
Leather District Boston condos for sale
Midtown/Downtown Boston condos for sale
Seaport District Boston condos for sale
South Boston condos for sale
South End Boston condos for sale
Waterfront condos for sale
North End condos for sale
West End condos for sale
East Boston condos for sale
Question & Answers Regarding Beacon Hill Condo For Sale
- Tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Boston Beacon Hill condo buyers how to beat all cash offers
- 5 tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo for sale
- Benefits of buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Design tips for Beacon Hill condo buyers
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale 5 must know terms
- The difference between a Beacon Hill condos and a Beacon Hill loft
- Common mistakes when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Buying a Beacon Hill condo with kids
- Is it time to ditch my Beacon Hill condo agent?
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: Do I need 20% down?
- 3 signs you’re going to buy a Boston Beacon Hill condo
- 6 principles to know when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- How to select a Boston Beacon Hill condo agent
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale downpayment
- Boston Beacon Hill condos finance
- Beacon Hill condos for sale what is negotiable
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: What it take to get a mortgage.
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale. Understand the condo association
- How much do Boston Beacon Hill condos cost?
Beacon Hill Condos For Sale
- Beacon Hill condos for sale updated in real time.
- Beacon Hill condos for sale lowest priced to highest
- Back to homepage