Business Insider says Boston is one of the cities where people are better off renting than buying homes.
The conclusion relies on Zillow’ newest metric – the so-called “break-even horizon.” As BI puts it: “The break-down horizon refers to the number of years after which buying a home is more ‘financially advantageous’ than renting one. So, with a longer breakeven horizon it makes more sense to rent. Unlike the price-to-rent ratio this metric includes a whole range of possible costs including mortgage payments, property taxes, utilities costs etc.”
Well, OK. Makes sense. Sort of. But has anyone recently analyzed Boston’s soaring rents? See the post immediately below. Rent prices are quickly getting to the surreal stage here.
Maybe the break-even-horizon formula needs some updating or tinkering. It sure doesn’t feel right amid today’s rental prices.
Back to Boston condos for sale homepage
Contact me to find out more about Boston condos for sale or to set up an appointment call/text 617-595-3712.
SEARCH FOR CONDOS FOR SALE AND RENTALS
- Back Bay condos $500k – $1M
- Beacon Hill condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown condos $500k – $1M
- Charlestown Navy Yard condos $500k – $1M
- Dorchester condos for sale
- Dorchester Heights condos
- Fenway condos $500k – $1M
- Jamaica Plain condos $500k – $1M
- Leather District condos $500k – $1M
- Midtown downtown condos $1M – $5M
- Seaport District condos 4500k – $1M
- South Boston condos $500k – $1M
- South End condos $500k – $1M
- Waterfront condos $500k – $1M
For more information please contact one of our on-call agents at 617-595-3712.
Updated: 1st Q 2018