Here are two pdf files that compare 2007 and 2008 condo sales data for the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston.
While the data is open to interpretation (and misinterpretation), here is what I think is important:
* Sales volume has dropped by over a third;
* Average sales price has increased;
* Median sales price has increased;
* Original list price to final sales price has stayed constant;
* Average days on market has stayed about the same.
It is true, you can’t tell from these reports how much space you get for your money, and if it’s changed at all (price per square foot would help), but still interesting data. Useful to buyers and sellers in JP, no doubt.
Source: Multiple Listing Service Property Information Network, Inc. for the period 01/15/2007-07/15/2007 and 01/15/2008-07/15/2008.