Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke tried to walk a fine line in his speech Friday: He insisted that the central bank doesn’t believe the economy will fall into another recession, but the Fed will react quickly if a downturn seems more likely.
With short-term interest rates already near zero, Bernanke indicated that the Fed could do more to ease credit conditions elsewhere in the financial system — mainly, by trying to pull longer-term interest rates lower.
But of course, even longer-term rates already are very low by historical standards. The average 30-year mortgage rate is at 4.36%, the cheapest in at least a generation.
So this is the plan, lower interest rates. I was hoping for something more positive.
Here’s one economists’ reactions to Bernanke’s speech:
Robert Brusca, Fact & Opinion Economics: Imagine a real doctor saying this to you: Well, your leg is injured and it is healing slowly — more slowly than we had expected. But it is healing and we expect it to continue to heal. However, if it does not heal you could be at risk and we might have to amputate. Now, of course, that would be bad and we do not expect to do that but in the case that we do amputate it would be a good thing because we only do it to save your life and shield you from the spread of something like gangrene that is life threatening. So in that case it would be good and desirable and it is an option. Does that reassure you?
Buying a Beacon Hill condo for sale
- Tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Boston Beacon Hill condo buyers how to beat all cash offers
- 5 tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo for sale
- Benefits of buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Design tips for Beacon Hill condo buyers
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale 5 must know terms
- The difference between a Beacon Hill condos and a Beacon Hill loft
- Common mistakes when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Buying a Beacon Hill condo with kids
- Is it time to ditch my Beacon Hill condo agent?
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: Do I need 20% down?
- 3 signs you’re going to buy a Boston Beacon Hill condo
- 6 principles to know when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- How to select a Boston Beacon Hill condo agent
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale downpayment
- Boston Beacon Hill condos finance
- Beacon Hill condos for sale what is negotiable
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: What it take to get a mortgage.
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale. Understand the condo association
- How much do Boston Beacon Hill condos cost?
Boston condos for sale near Downtown/Midtown Boston
Back Bay Boston condos
Beacon Hill Boston condos
Charlestown Boston condos
Navy Yard Charlestown Boston condos
Dorchester Boston condos
Fenway Boston condos
Jamaica Plain Boston condos
Leather District Boston condos
Midtown Boston condos
Seaport District Boston condos
South Boston new condos
South End new condos
Waterfront new condos
North End new condos
West End new condos
East Boston condos
Condos around the Midtown area to rent:
Back Bay area condos for rent
Beacon Hill area condos for rent
Charlestown area condos for rent
Navy Yard Charlestown area condos for rent
Dorchester area condos for rent
Fenway area condos for rent
Jamaica Plain area condos for rent
Leather District area condos for rent
Midtown area condos for rent
Seaport District area condos for rent
South Boston area condos for rent
South End area condos for rent
Waterfront area condos for rent
North End area condos for rent
West End area condos for rent
East Boston area condos for rent
Click here: Boston Midtown Condos For Sale.