A story of great interest
A story of great interest to me has been making its way through the local press today. It pertains to Massachusetts reputation as being cheap when it comes to charity.
In fact, the original study, calculated on something called the”Generosity Index” ranked Massachusetts 49th in the country, only beating out New Hampshire when it comes to charitable contributions, on a gross income basis. That study, initiated by a company called “the Catalogue for Philanthropy”, has now been called into question.
(However, the organization’s leadership has backed off its claims about Massachusetts’ frugality:
Spokesman Martin Cohn said that the Generosity Index never was supposed to be scientific, and that the catalogue’s only goal is to get people to talk more about philanthropy, which the organization feels will increase charitable giving.
”We’ve never purported this to be a scientific study — it’s an index,” he said. ”An index by definition is an indication.”)
Unfortunately, the press took the original authors’ conclusions as the last word, and many were critical of Massachusetts “stinginess”, including the New York Times, as well as the Florida Times-Union, which said: ”Northern liberals talk about compassion for the less fortunate, Southern conservatives act.”
Now, the Boston Foundation has done a study of its own, and tweaked the methodology. Based on their own calculations, Massachusetts comes in a much better 11th out of 50 in charitable giving. The new study incorporates the higher cost of living in Massachusetts (and higher taxes) to establish how much is being given to charities from net income.
In the press:
Boston Business Journal: “Charity cheapskate” reputation of Bay State unmerited
Boston Globe: Mass. generous after all, study finds
Question & Answers Regarding Beacon Hill Condo For Sale
- Tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Boston Beacon Hill condo buyers how to beat all cash offers
- 5 tips on buying a Beacon Hill condo for sale
- Benefits of buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Design tips for Beacon Hill condo buyers
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale 5 must know terms
- The difference between a Beacon Hill condos and a Beacon Hill loft
- Common mistakes when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- Buying a Beacon Hill condo with kids
- Is it time to ditch my Beacon Hill condo agent?
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: Do I need 20% down?
- 3 signs you’re going to buy a Boston Beacon Hill condo
- 6 principles to know when buying a Beacon Hill condo
- How to select a Boston Beacon Hill condo agent
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale downpayment
- Boston Beacon Hill condos finance
- Beacon Hill condos for sale what is negotiable
- Beacon Hill condos for sale: What it take to get a mortgage.
- Boston Beacon Hill condos for sale. Understand the condo association
- How much do Boston Beacon Hill condos cost?
Beacon Hill Condos For Sale
- Beacon Hill condos for sale updated in real time.
- Beacon Hill condos for sale lowest priced to highest
Condos around Boston to buy:
Back Bay area new condos for sale
Beacon Hill area new condos for sale
Charlestown area new condos for sale
Navy Yard Chalrestown area new condos for sale
Dorchester area new condos for sale
Fenway area new condos for sale
Jamaica Plain new condos for sale
Leather District new condos for sale
Midtown area new condos fro sale
Seaport District area new condos for sale
South Boston new condos for sale
South End new condos for sale
Waterfront new condos for sale
North End area new condos for sale
West End area new condos for sale
East Boston area new condos for sale
Condos around Boston to rent:
Back Bay area condos for rent
Beacon Hill area condos for rent
Charlestown area condos for rent
Navy Yard Charlestown area condos for rent
Dorchester area condos for rent
Fenway area condos for rent
Jamaica Plain area condos for rent
Leather District area condos for rent
Midtown area condos for rent
Seaport District area condos for rent
South Boston area condos for rent
South End area condos for rent
Waterfront area condos for rent
North End area condos for rent
West End area condos for rent
East Boston area condos for rent
Back to homepage: Boston condos for sale
Ford Realty – Boston Real Estate Google Reviews 2019