The article was about how landlords aren’t crazy about having a co-signer on your lease who lives out of state, so if you need a guarantor in order to qualify to rent an apartment.
“New York landlords don’t like out of state co-signers for legal reasons,” explains Jeffrey Geller, vice chairman and chief operating officer of Insurent (a Brick sponsor). “It is more difficult to serve out of state co-signers, and they also need to hire new attorneys in other states.”
From my experience, like NYC, Beacon Hill condo landlords who will only accept co-signers within the area. This can pose a significant challenge to Beacon Hill condo renters who need a guarantor to qualify for a rental and whose family lives elsewhere.
If you don’t meet the income qualifications to rent (usually 40 times the monthly rent) and don’t have any family or friends living in-state who could serve as a guarantor, you have a few other options.
“The most common reason landlords require a guarantor is because of insufficient income,” says Dennis Hughes, a broker with Corcoran. “If this is the case, prospective tenants should, if possible, offer additional security, or offer prepaid rent of several months or more—even up to a year.”
For Beacon Hill condo renters who don’t have that amount of cash handy, they or their would-be co-signers can opt to use a service like Insurent, which will act as their guarantor for a fee calculated as a percentage of a month’s rent.
FAQ: Moving to Boston from another state or city
- Moving to Boston from another state
- When is the best time to find a Boston condo to rent?
- 7 Boston condo rental moving tips
- More tips for those moving to Boston
- How to make your Boston condo rental feel like a home
- Boston condos for rent doing the move yourself.
- Boston condos for rent. Moving insurance
- Boston condos for rent and sale: Should I hire a professional mover?
- How to select a Boston condo rental agent
- Things you should find out before renting a Boston condo
FAQ Boston Condo/Apartment Rental Process
- How does the Boston apartment rental process work?
- What should be on my Boston condo and apartment check list?
What do I need to bring with me to rent out a Boston apartment/condo
- What items do I need to rent out a Boston condo or apartment?
- What is a Boston apartment rental application?
What is a Boston condo/apartment credit check?
What is a Boston security deposit?
- What is a security deposit?
- Who holds the security deposit?
- Do I get interest on my Boston apartment security deposit?
- How do I get my Boston apartment security deposit back?
Why does it cost more to move into a high rise condo or apartment complex?
What is apartment rental insurance?
How do I break my Boston condo rental lease?
- If I want to buy a Boston condo, how do I get out of my current lease?
- Boston condos for rent. How can I break my lease?
For Boston condo landlords
Boston condos to rent misc questions and thoughts
- How to sleep better in the Boston condo you just rented
- Beacon Hill apartment renters are misinformed